Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Strike is Over

Well, the Writer's Guild of America has signed a new contract with the producers and are back to work. I know a lot of TV addicts are very happy about this. As a moviegoer, I am happy that productions can start back up (ones that weren't canceled anyway... please put the "Justice League" movie back in the schedule!). But more importantly, all the non-writers who were affected by the strike can get work again.

What else does this mean? The Oscars live on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who cares.

I'll still read about it in the paper.

But let me add this note: I have seen four of the five movies nominated for best picture, "Atonement" being the lone missed film. Without a doubt, "There Will Be Blood" should be the film of the year. I'm afraid "No Country For Old Men" will win, which would disappoint me highly. I'd almost venture to say that Daniel Day-Lewis should win the lead actor honor, but I can't because I haven't seen Viggo Mortensen in "Eastern Promises." I like Viggo's work, especially in "History of Violence," so I'm not comfortable committing to Day-Lewis, who was phenomenal. And don't count out Johnny Depp.

No comments: