Sunday, February 24, 2008

February 23-24, 2006

That Thursday, Feb. 23, Dad still didn't get to go home, but when I talked to him he said he was still feeling really well and was really looking forward to going home.

On the afternoon of Friday, Feb. 24, I was working and my cell phone rang. I typically don't answer it while at work, but noticed it was home, so I answered expecting Mom. After I said, "Hello," I heard my Dad say, "WWWWWWAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSUUUUUUPPPPPPPPP!!!" You know, like those guys did in those old Bud commercials?



It was obvious that Dad was feeling really well that day. And he told me that he was home.

That was a great feeling. He was home finally, he was feeling well, and he was in great spirits.

We talked for a little while longer and then I got back to work. I actually considered just driving home that day after work instead of waiting a week, but I stuck with the original plan. I called Dad again that night and I slept well.

There was, however, one thing bothering me. I was scheduled to go in a few weeks to the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, for work. When I got back to work after Dad's surgery, I told my boss that I needed someone else to go for me, because I didn't want to be that far away from Dad until I knew his recovery was complete. That was just going to be too soon after for me. I had been in that position before. When I was working with UK Athletics I was in Texas with the women's gymnastics team. During the trip, Dad had emergency gallbladder surgery. It was a tough time because I wasn't able to get back quickly. Luckily, he was fine. However, I didn't want that to happen again. But my boss said there was no one else to go, and that I had to.

But at the time, Dad was good, so life was good.

No comments: