Monday, February 25, 2008

February 25, 2006

Saturday, February 25, 2006, was, to the best of my recollection, a regular day. I slept in. Once up, I don't really remember doing much. I think I went to the grocery because I definitely remember cooking that afternoon.

I had started Weight Watchers on January 3, and was actually still struggling with it at this time, even two months in. Anyway, I was trying a recipe someone had told me about. By the time I had it in the oven a former friend of mine (current then, but former now) called and asked if I wanted to join some others that evening. I said sure, I could save the meal I was making. Frankly, I'm not opposed to left-overs, especially if it's something good.

So, I ended up doing something (what, I don't remember) that afternoon, and headed out later.

Once there, it was around 6 p.m. or so. It had to be at least that late because I do remember it was dark. Before I went in, I decided to call Dad since I wasn't sure how late I would be out.

I think we actually talked for a long time, longer than we had any night since I had come back to Lexington after his surgery. We didn't talk about anything in particular, we just chatted. I loved having those kinds of conversations with him. Inevitably we would get to laughing over something silly. One thing that really got him going was the TV commercial for the movie "The Shaggy Dog." It was on while we were talking and he got to laughing at it. He told me there was no way he would be able to see it because he'd pop his incision open from laughing so hard. It was funny to me because he'd laugh, and then in between breaths he'd go, "Oh, Oh" like he was in pain and then he'd get to laughing again. My Dad had a great laugh.

Ultimately we ended the call. I told him I was sorry that I didn't come in that weekend, but that I would see him the next weekend. He said that was okay and that he looked forward to it.

I told him that I loved him. He said, "I love you, too."

I hung up and went on with my night.

It was the last time I spoke to him.

No comments: