Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Sammy and Dad

Not long before this date in 2006, my Dad finally did what he had been threatening to do. He bought a dog.

For the longest time, he had wanted to get a "yellow dog." He wanted a companion, someone he could take with him on drives around town, someone he could play with at the house while my Mom worked during the day.

Mom didn't really want one.

Well, he called me one day in early 2006 and said that he'd finally done it. He saw an ad in the local paper for a pure bred golden retriever. He went down and got him. He was in love instantly. And it didn't really take my Mom long to follow suit.

When Dad and I would talk he would tell me about all the things little Sammy had done that day. Dad had taken him to a vet right down the road from their house, gotten him all the requisite shots and checkups, and had purchased him a large number of toys. It was as if Sammy was another child.

But it was great. In late 2005 and early 2006, Dad had been struggling with some issues he had been dealing with for a number of years, and I was happy to know that he had a new friend who could help him take his mind off the negative.

And Mom thought Sammy was pretty cute, too.

A great addition to the Duncan family. I couldn't wait to see him.

No comments: