Sunday, November 11, 2007

Big News (for me, at least)

First let me apologize AGAIN for not updating this blog more often. But I’ve finally found a few moments to take some time to give everyone a much-needed update, and actually very big news. For me, at least.

Most everyone who knows me knows that it was about a year ago that I left my position with Host Communications. I had been there a little over two years and it turned out to not be the job it was made out to be. Promises had been initially made but never fulfilled. Because of that and the often unacceptable working conditions, I felt it best to change my life so that it was no longer a part of it.

So, I left Host. The scary part of that was that I didn’t have another job at the time. In January, I took a couple of classes at Bluegrass Community and Technical College here in Lexington. I enrolled in Introduction to Film and Editing With Final Cut Pro. The intro to film class was good. I mean, we basically watched movies in class everyday, and our homework was watching films. In my other class I learned how to use Apple’s Final Cut Pro software to edit video. For my final project in that class I made a music video. You can see it here, if you haven’t already.

Once the semester was over, I took on two part-time jobs: one at the UK Basketball Museum and one at the Fayette Mall Cinemark movie theatre. I also was helping a friend prior to this with establishing a local trivia competition, but finances forced me to push most of my focus to the part-time jobs. Finally, I sucked up as much of my pride as I could and moved in with my sister’s family for awhile.

The plan was this: take the BCTC certificate program in filmmaking this fall, a few classes next spring and then attend a graduate program in film where I hoped to get a degree in screenwriting.

Just to back up a little for those who may not know. I wrote a screenplay. I don’t think it’s that good, but those I know who have read it tell me they disagree. Anyway, I had this script and didn’t know what to do with it. So, I thought, “If I can’t get anybody to make a film of this script why don’t I just do it.” The thing about technology today, it’s so inexpensive to own equipment now that anybody can be a filmmaker. You just need a camera and a story. If you don’t believe me, go to Youtube and you’ll see. Of course, having those two things doesn’t make everything good. Quite the opposite, actually. But you CAN make a film.

So, I thought I’d study filmmaking. This semester I have been doing just that. And I LOVE it! I really do. It seems like something I can continue to do. But a few weeks ago, I realized something. The chances of me truly making a nice living making films was not that great. Probably greater than a high school basketball player making the NBA, but I’m sure not much. Also, I decided that while I’d love to go to grad school and continue my film studies, it just didn’t seem that it would be worthwhile to go into so much debt on top of what I already have from previous education to study film. And someone who has become something of a mentor from my experiences in class told me that he truly felt film school was a waste of money. You can learn just as well through one simple thing: making movies. Just make movies. Whether they are bad or not, just make them. If they are bad, then you’ll know why and you can fix it later. And then they’ll get better.

Therefore, I decided I would forego film school.

Well, if I did that, what would I actually do?

The answer to that kind of fell in my lap. And here is how...

Back in early September I got a call from my friend Kelley. Kelley and I worked together at the University of Kentucky Public Relations Office for two years. That is where I was prior to moving to Host. Kelley called me because she had some information on a possible freelance writing job for me. She said I needed to call someone at the UK College of Education. Well, that brought back some interesting memories which almost caused me to not call them.

About a week or so after I left Host last year, I had an interview for a public relations position with the UK College of Education. One of the people I interviewed with was the person who had contacted Kelley about needing someone to do some writing for them. But for whatever reason, I didn’t get the job last year.

Well, I decided I needed the money, so I called. The reason they needed someone quickly for some freelance work was because the person they hired over me suddenly quit. I won’t go into it here, but click here to read for yourself.

So, I go in, meet with them and decide to take the work, during which I never really consider applying for the job opening. On a couple of occasions I was told by those I was working with that I should apply. But at the time, I was still considering film graduate school.

Then along the way, I decided to forego film school, and the answer to “What to do now?” was evident. I enjoy writing, I like public relations okay, and I enjoyed working with the folks at the College of Education. Therefore, I decided to apply for the open public relations job.

My thinking was that with that job, I could retrieve some financial security and by working at UK, I’d have great, GREAT benefits. And because I knew that I’d never probably be rich and famous and didn’t want to go into debt anymore, I would just make films in my spare time. This will allow me to get some of my own equipment, and taking this filmmaking class this semester has given me some wonderful contacts in the business, not to mention a number of other folks in the area who want to make films just like I do.

And there you have it. Oh, forgot to mention -- I was offered and I accepted the job at the College of Education. I should start one day this coming week.

I think it will be good for me. I’ll have a good job, and I should still be able to do some of the things I want to do -- write and make films. Most importantly, I can move back to Lexington, hopefully to the Chevy Chase area.

Actually, in my class I have been able to write and direct a short film and yesterday I finished a first rough cut of it. When it’s complete, I’ll be sure to put it online for you all to see.

I guess I’ve taken up enough of your time. But I wanted to share the news with all the people I care about.

Keep checking back here for more news, and just my thoughts from time to time.

I truly am going to try to write more often.

I’ll be sure to write about the process of directing my first film soon, as well.

No comments: